Types of Applications after Entering Japan

1. Alien Registration

Who must register

All eligible foreign residents in Japan.

Where to register

Municipal government office of the city one lives in.

When to register

  • New-comer to Japan: within 90 days from your entry.
  • Other than new-comers: depends on type of registration.

Documents Required (Initial registration)

  • Application for Alien Registration
  • Passport (just to show)
  • 2 Full-face photographs (4.5 x 3.5 cm) * not required for under 16

Important Notes

  • All foreign nationals who are over 16 must always carry the registration card and present it whenever asked by authorized civil officers.
  • If any change should be made on the registration, the holder must apply for change of registration at a designated government office.
  • Any foreign national who leaves Japan without re-entry permit must return the card to a designated government office.

2. Re-entry Permit

Who can apply

All eligible foreign residents who leave Japan on business or a temporary basis.

Who cannot apply

  • Any foreign nationals under deportation procedure.
  • Any foreign nationals intending to discontinue the activities under current status after re-entering Japan.

Important Notes

  • In principle, you have to appear in person at the Immigration (if under 16, someone who lives in the same household can represent you).
  • Duration of a re-entry permit is within the permitted period of stay.
  • Since your Alien Registration card remains effective after leaving Japan, you do not need to re-apply for Alien Registration after re-entering Japan.

3. Extension of Period of Stay

Who can apply

All eligible foreign residents who continue the permitted activity and wish to stay in Japan beyond the originally permitted period.

Important Notes

  • You cannot change your status.
  • If you are a student and if your attendance rate is low, your application may be rejected.
  • You must have a valid reason for extension.
  • You can only extend your stay once if your status is "short-term stay", "entertainment" or "trainee".
  • If you are "intracompany transferee" and have a valid reason for extension, you can make multiple extensions.

4. Change of Residence Status

Who can apply

All eligible foreign residents who intend to terminate the activities under the current status and start new activity under new status.

Important Notes

  • You are only permitted to change your status when your reason is recognized valid by the Minister of Justice.
  • If you have a "short-term stay" visa, you cannot change your status except when your reason is through unavoidable circumstance.

5. Activity outside scope permitted

Who can apply

All eligible residents who intend to engage in other activities (part-time jobs) than the activities originally permitted.

Important Notes

  • If you are a student, you can apply before you decide where to work.
  • In other cases, you must decide where to work before applying for a permission.
  • Your place of work must not be related entertainment and amusement business.
  • Your work must not interrupt the originally permitted activities.

Permitted Working Hours for Part-time Job

    Work Hour per Week During school vacation
Foreign Student Full-time student Less than 28 hours Less than 8 hours a day
Auditing student, research student Less than 14 hours Less than 8 hours a day
Vocational School Student Less than 28 hours Less than 8 hours a day
Japanese Language School Student 4 hours a day